Portfolio, Programme & Project Offices (P3O®)
“The P3O® guidance – aligned to Cabinet Office’s Project, Programme and Portfolio management best practices, brings together in one place a set of principles, processes and techniques to facilitate their effective programme management through enablement, challenge and support structures”.
P3O® has been used and adopted by many organizations, both within public and private sectors.
Today’s organizations exist in a climate of constant and increasing change. Organizations that have learnt how to transform themselves through effective leadership and strategic control are more likely to survive and prosper. P3O ® framework enables consistent delivery of change across various structures of organisations.
P3O® Foundation and Practitioner – is an APMG accredited 5 -day course, which covers the syllabi for the Foundation and Practitioner examination levels, along with administration of these two examinations.
Participants will gain an understanding and knowledge of the principles, processes and techniques of P3O® framework to facilitate effective Portfolio, Programme and Project Management. This framework also bridges the gap between strategy/ policy making and the delivery roles in the organizations.
The course fees cover lunch/ refreshments, the P3O® manual, accredited courseware and Foundation and Practitioner examination fees.
Benefits of P3O®
P3O® framework provides a definitive guidance in providing support infrastructure for managing various change initiatives in the organisation. Along with other related frameworks for project , programme and portfolio management etc, P3O® aims to:
- Provide referencable standards
- Provide a framework of best practice principles and concepts drawn from latest experiences and proven practices
- Enable practitioners to adapt the guidance to real life situations
- Help practitioners improve their decision making and to become better at implementing beneficial changes and setting up , managing and implementing a Program office structure
- Enable individuals to demonstrate their level of knowledge and understanding by taking the examinations.
-P3O® is a Registered Trademark of the AXELOS. Limited
The workshop presupposes prior project and programme management (PGMG) experience or exposure.
- Senior Project and Programme Managers
- Senior Managers in charge of the Programme Management Office etc
- Passing the P3O® Foundation exam is a pre-requisite for sitting the P3O® Practitioner exam.
The P3O® framework includes the following contents
Why have a P3O?
- How does P3O add value to the organization?
- Developing the Business Case for the P3O
- Getting the investments done for P3O
What is a P3O Model?
- Overview of multiple models of P3O
- Functions and Services offered by the P3O
- Roles and responsibilities within P3O
- Benefits Realisation Management
- Sizing and Tailoring of P3O
- Maturity and evolution of the P3O
How to implement a P3O?
- P3O lifecycle
- Plan Stages or tranches of delivery
- Implementation of new or enhanced capability
- Periodic reviews and lessons learned
- How to re-energize the P3O?
- Integration with business planning cycles
How to operate a P3O – tools and techniques
- Benefits of using tools and techniques for the P3O
- Critical success factors for implementing the P3O model
- Various tools and techniques applicable for the P3O
- Roles and responsibilities for setting up and operating the P3O
The P3O® Foundation and Practitioners’ Course will run for five days, ( usually from Monday to Friday), along with conduct of the examinations.
The Foundation course will run for three days ( usually Monday-Wednesday), culminating with the Foundation Certification examination (whose structure is explained below).
Successful candidates clearing the Foundation examination, then can go on to take the Practitioner course, running for two days (usually during Thursday and Friday), culminating with the Practitioner examination on Friday afternoon. The day wise schedule will be informed subsequently.
Foundation Certification is the first qualification that is required to become a P3O®Practitioner. Foundation level is aimed at enabling the candidate to act as an informed member of the programme team using the P3O® method. For this they need to show that they understand the principles and terminologies of the method.
The Foundation Exam Format is of 50 multiple-choice questions of duration 40 minutes (Closed book). 30 correct answers or more are required to pass.
Candidates must first pass the Foundation exam before proceeding to the Practitioner level. The Foundation exam results are declared before candidates go in for Practitioner level course.
There are no formal pre-requisites for delegates to attend the course but it is recommended that anyone attending this course has a basic understanding of project and programme management principles.
P3O® Practitioner (level 2)
The Practitioner’s Certification is intended to assess whether the candidate is able to apply P3O® method to the running and managing of a project and programme management structure. The candidate needs to show that they are able to tune P3O® to different contexts and circumstances.
The Practitioner Exam is a “Scenario based” question examination lasting Two and quarter. hours. This is an open – book format and 35 out of 70 marks is required to pass. Only P3O®Manual may be used during this examination.