Metrics for Managing and Improving Testing
This two day course introduces and explains the concept of software test measurement. A combination of lecture, classroom exercises, and experiential techniques are used to inform attendees regarding the importance of test measurement and how to introduce the concept to an organization while ensuring that tracked measurements and metrics align with the needs of the organization. The training identifies activities utilized to lead a test effort, measure and track its progress, and ensure timely and accurate delivery of the tested application to the production environment. As part of the course, students will receive detailed instructions on a variety of metrics that enables them to measure the completed work effort, communicate final results to clients, and plan more effectively and efficiently for testing future software projects.
The primary objectives of this course are to introduce and instruct Test Leads on the value of test and QA measurement and how to use these tools to improve the overall quality of projects. Attendees will learn how to:
- Identify important measurements to track and utilize, which align with business objectives
- Determine the value of various development and testing processes using measurement as the basis for decision-making
- Manage the scope and resources of a test effort to ensure an application is as thoroughly tested as possible
- Provide quality and progress feedback throughout a project
- Prove the contributions and demonstrate the value of QA and software testing to the organization
- Assess the risk of component or application failure prior to release to production
- Test Analysts
- Test Leads
- Test Managers
- Test Measurement Background – An introduction to basic measurement concepts, why measurement is important, and definitions of terminology.
- Value of Test & QA Measurement – A review of industry recognized measurements and values and how they can be used to show ROI of various processes, particularly in testing.
- Test Measurement Strategy – A six-step approach for identifying, creating, tracking, and using test metrics based on the Goal-Question-Metric (GQM) model.
- Base Measurements – Ten basic measurements easily tracked and used to derive more sophisticated test management information.
- Key Test Metrics – Eleven metrics with formulas that make managing and communicating the status of a test effort easier for Test Managers and Test Leads.
- Managing with Test Metrics – Two graphs, the Rayleigh Cumulative Distribution Function and the Zero Bug Bounce, used to closely manage the test effort. Examining and interpreting measurements to make improvements to a test effort as well as future development efforts.